Every Wednesday, I get an indispensable magazine in the mail entitled: Time Out Chicago. You must know it, si?
I love this mag; I freelance for this mag; I, however, DO NOT take advantage of this mag.
Man, there is so much going on every week in Chi, I am totally overwhelmed. I barely make it thru the issue before
the next one comes and I realize I've missed all events listed due to my stay-at-home-and-drink nature, so, here's what I'm going to do...
every Wednesday (mmm-hmmmm), I'm gonna plow thru the glossy pages of TOC and figure out what I'd really take advantage of...if given the time/energy/money/fore-warning/gumption (none of which I seem to have when it comes right down to it).
I start off so inspired to rip into some new events/restaurants/deals, and then outta no where...I'm back at Los Niches tucking into a bowl of Chicken soup...or out sailing on pretty Lake Michigan....or taking care of a sharp edge by
participating in Gruppo di Amici's 1/2 price glass of wine on Tuesday's deal. No more! I will dissect this mo-fo stat and let it be known exactly what I am missing--every week on the week....
Let's start with the issue I just got today....here are the jewels I've pulled for your no-show pleasure:
1. The Family Guy Live on Sept 15 at The Chicago Theater (p. 13): One word--Stewey
2. La Oaxaquena (p. 32): The photo of a full-on deep fried fish at this Oaxacan restaurant looks just about good enough to eat.
3. CJ's Eatery (p. 35): I'm loving the idea of banana bread pudding with peanut butter anglaise.
4. Cuban Island (p.36): Minty mojitos and ropa vieja are what dreams are made of. I'm still trying to find the best mojito in Chicago--the one with the CRUSHED ice. Perhaps this joint has it?
5. Sabri Nehari (p. 36): Please just read the food review. This is my next pitstop for sure.
6. Tents (p.44): I cannot believe I haven't been camping this summer. I mean, its only been either 106 and sweating buckets or pouring rain. Go figure.
7. Wheaton All-Night Flea Market (p.47): a/ Why have I never heard of this and b/ Where is Wheaton?
8. Spa Forever (p. 50): So, first timers get any hour long service for a paltry $49. Nice.
9. Chicago Outdoor Film Festival (p. 52): Great! It's the last show of the season. Dude, summer is over!
10. Hamsa-Fest (p. 55): I'd go for the African fair-trade coffee, the Moroccan tea and the Arabic eats alone...the global music is a bonus.
11. Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest (p. 56): You'll want to come to this tidy little fest just so you can visit the Pilates Chicago booth where I will be...touting my upcoming Pilates retreat in glorious Mexico.
12. The Field Museum (p. 66): Darwin and the Galapagos. I mean, what's not to love?
13. Chicago Printmakers Collaborative (p. 72): I love printmakers and the creative genius of it all. I wish I had some sort of skill. One I could sell.
14. The 11th Hour (p. 92): Because I just wanna see it.
That snazzy list sums up everything that I'd wanna see/do this week in Chicago...but be forewarned, I will most likely not partake in a single one.
I suck, I really suck.